We hear the words ‘bail’ and ‘bail bonds’ in news almost everyday. But, do we have clear idea about these? It is important to know about these things. Because, the knowledge will help you when you or someone you know gets arrested. In this article, I will discuss about Atlanta bail bonds.
What is a Bail Bond?
A bail bond is a written guarantee. It guarantees that a defendant will attend all further court proceedings. The Court weighs some factors in setting bail. These include, risk of flight by the defendant, the defendant’s criminal history (if any), and the safety of the community.
How does a Bail Bond Work?
It is similar to a loan in that you put down a small percentage of the total amount. A lender, known as a bail agent puts down the remainder. In addition to this small amount, you will need to provide collateral. This should be enough to make up the amount the bail agent pays in the event you skip a court date. Usually, collateral is something like a deed to a house, car, or jewelry. The whole amount is returned to the bondsman, when the case is over.
How the Amount is Determined
Most jurisdictions have a bail schedule. It is used to determine the amount. But, the hearing judge has considerable leeway when setting the bail and can take external circumstances in account.
The Types of Bonds
There are four primary types of bonds. They are:
- Signature or Own Recognizance (or ‘OR’).
- Cash Only.
Things you should Know before Contacting a Bail Agent
A bail agent will need some information to help you. These are:
- The location of the person in custody. The city, state, and jail name will be needed.
- The full name and booking number of the person in jail. This information is important for the bail agent to contact the jail.
- The amount of the bail. With this amount, the bail agent can tell you the amount needed to post a bond. He/she can also tell you the requirements to get the person out of jail.
What do you Promise when you Sign a Bond?
You promise that the defendant will appear and follow conditions paced on him/her.
How to Get Atlanta Bail Bonds
There are four ways in which you can get Atlanta bail bonds.
- You can use a bondsman to do the job.
- You can also post cash for the full amount of the bond with the court or jail.
- There is the option of using real property (like a home or a lot) with the court.
- Lastly, the judge can decide to let the defendant go on his/her own recognizance.
This discussion should help you to understand Atlanta bail bonds.